Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Awards

To open things back up I have decided to run down the list of my choices for Oscars. We will know the actual nominations on Tuesday and I will spend the rest of the month breaking down those categories, but for right now these nominations are purely the movies I think deserve recognition.

Best Picture:
Note- This year the Oscars have decided to include 10 films in this category instead of the traditional 5. In my opinion this is a terrible decision that is purely motivated by TV ratings in an attempt to include more "mainstream" and "popular" movies that the producers are hoping will convince viewers who normally would not be interested to tune in. My logic tells me that just because somebodies favorite movie is nominated for best picture with no chance of winning, that fact alone is not going to convince them to watch if they were not planning to anyway. This is one case where I think more is not necessarily better. In the past it was considered an honor just to be nominated and I have a feeling that some of the nominees this year not fit that bill as there were not 10 "great" movies this year. The interesting wrinkle that this does provide is trying to figure out how the academy will fill those extra 5 spots. Will they simply include what they consider to be the next 5 best movies? I don't think that will be the case. It is my hunch that the academy will use their extra 5 slots to incorporate movies they feel will most entice average moviegoers to tune in. In other words this change is brought on by the perceived huge loss of viewers last year because The Dark Knight was not nominated. Keeping that in mind I would not be surprised to see some very interesting nominees this year ie. (The Hangover anyone?). Anyways back to my nominations. Remember these are not my predictions for what will be nominated, they are simply what I would nominate.

1. The Hurt Locker

2.Up in the Air

3. Avatar

4. Inglorious Bastards

5. (500) Days of Summer

6. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire

7. The Blind Side

8. Up

9. Where the Wild Things Are

10. Nine


My Winner- The Hurt Locker

-Commentary on these films will be available with the discussions following the actual nominations.

No comments:

Post a Comment