Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Results

-Well I finished the night 17 for 24. Not a bad total at all considering I was 7 for 8 in the major categories, so I am overall pretty pleased. Here is how it went down.

The categories I got right:

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire (A worthy winner)
Best Director: Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actress: Kate Winslet for The Reader (Yay for Kate Winslet finally winning an Oscar... Boo for the wrong movie)
Best Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (A performance for the history books)
Best Adapted Screenplay: Dustin Lance Black for Milk
Best Original Screenplay: Simon Beaufoy for Slumdog Millionaire
Best Animated Film: WALL-E (This one wasn't even close)
Best Documentary: Man on Wire
Best Editing: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire
Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Costume Design: The Duchess
Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Original Score: Slumdog Millionaire
Original Song: Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire
Live Action Short: Spielzeugland(Toyland) (Ok, I will be honest this one was pretty much a lucky guess)

The ones I missed:

Best Actor: Sean Penn for Milk
My prediction- Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon
- I took a gamble on this one, and it didn't pay off. I said originally that any of Penn, Rourke or Langella could win and I picked the wrong horse. While disappointed, I can not say that Penn didn't deserve it. I just thought Langella and Rourke deserved it more.

Visual Effects: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
My prediction- Iron Man
- I stand by my pick here. I thought the visual effects of Iron Man were by far the best this year and was disappointed that it lost.

Sound Editing: The Dark Knight
My prediction- WALL-E
- This and sound mixing were the two categories I had the hardest time picking and I got both of them wrong. I knew this one was between WALL-E and The Dark Knight and once again I went with the wrong pick.

Sound Mixing: Slumdog Millionaire
My prediction- The Dark Knight
- I said in my commentary that the opening scene of Slumdog was an example of sound mixing at its finest, but when it came to crunch time I went with my gut thinking the Academy would want to reward The Dark Knight considering Slumdog was going to win plenty of other awards... guess I was wrong.

Foreign Language Film: Departures (From Japan)
My prediction- Waltz with Bashir (From Israel)
-The only real upset of the night. While I did not see any of these films, the preview for Waltz with Bashir was mindblowing and a couple people I know who saw it said it was awesome. I have not heard of one person who predicted Departures, so I am not that worried about this one.

Animated Short: La Maison en Petits Cubes
My prediction- This Way Up
-To be perfectly honest I had no idea going in, and I still don't really care.

Documentary Short: Smile Pinki
My prediction- The Conscience of Nhem En
-See above comment.

The final total:
Slumdog Millionaire- 8 wins (I predicted 7- Missed Sound Mixing)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 3 wins (I predicted 2- Missed Visual Effects)
The Dark Knight- 2 wins (I predicted 2 but only one correctly- It won for Sound Editing/I predicted Sound Mixing)
Milk- 2 wins (I predicted 1- Missed Best Actor)
WALL-E- 1 win (I predicted 2- It lost Sound Editing)
The Reader- 1 win (I predicted 1)
The Duchess- 1 win (I predicted 1)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona- 1 win (I predicted 1)
Iron Man- 0 wins (I predicted 1- It lost Visual Effects)
Frost/Nixon- 0 wins (I predicted 1- It lost Best Actor)

- All and all, a pretty good night. I am a little embarrassed I missed all three of the special effects categories, but to my credit I think those three (especially sound mixing and sound editing) were probably some of the closest categories. 2008 was a great year for film, and heres hoping that 2009 is just as promising. Coming later this week I am going to preview some of the big movies to be watching for the rest of the year, so don't miss that. Have a good night.

1 comment:

  1. you did a good job of creating interest, brad. can you believe how entertaining the oscar awards ceremony was and what a great job hugh jackman did as host? i haven't watched in recent years because...boring...ego introspective...non-entertaining...but after following your blog, i decided to watch the opening last night and i was hooked for the whole show. what a wonderful idea to have multiple presenters of peers to give a personal statement to each nominee about their performance and to see their semi-genuine reactions (which historically, they show a flim clip and the nomimees when the winner is announced and you get to see them trying not to react). it was entertaining, smart, well-executed, nicely paced, marvelously hosted and personalized(forget the comedians in the future; such past hosts have usually been on an ego trip and it is more about them than the nominess, other than to make fun of them)[who can forget david letterman's famous "bomb intro: "oprah, uma; uma, oprah"

    ReplyDelete